Non-Matriculated Student Application

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident with a bachelor's degree who wants to expand your knowledge in a particular area of study but are not seeking a graduate degree, you can enroll in select graduate-level courses at NYU Steinhardt as a non-degree, or non-matriculated student. 

How to Apply

Complete the Application Form for Non-Matriculated Status. This form must be submitted in person (preferred method) or via mail, along with a non-refundable $75 application fee, (check or money order only, payable to New York University) and an official university transcript that indicates the conferral of your bachelor's degree.

Graduates of NYU must also submit an official bachelor's/undergraduate transcript indicating degree conferral with their application.

If you recently applied to a degree program and were not offered admission, you will not be permitted to enroll as a non-matriculated student. 

If you are interested in Study Abroad, please visit NYU Steinhardt Global Programs Office for more information about the process.

Returning Non-Matriculated Students

If you are a returning non-matriculated student you must re-apply by submitting a new application each semester you wish to register. The $75 application fee and official transcript are valid for three consecutive semesters. The staff of the Office of Graduate Admissions will inform you based on our records and policy whether or not you are required to submit an application fee and transcript.  


If you requested your transcript, be mailed or submitted electronically to our institution, independent of your application, please notify the staff of the Office of Graduate Admissions. Transcripts sent electronically from your institution may be emailed to

Policies and Requirements 

Non-degree students are limited to taking a total of 18 credits and must meet academic standards which means having at least a 3.00 undergraduate gpa upon application. See more information on requirements, registration, and other policies for non-degree students

The following Steinhardt programs do not allow non-degree student enrollment:

  • Art Therapy
  • Communicative Sciences and Disorders
  • Instrumental Performance
  • Music Business
  • Music Therapy
  • Physical Therapy
  • Piano Performance
  • Studio Art
  • Vocal Performance
  • Online Programs:
    • Counseling@NYU
    • Embedded MAT in Secondary Education
    • OT@NYU
    • Speech@NYU

If you are interested in enrolling as a non-degree student in a course in one of the following graduate programs, you must meet with a departmental adviser and obtain written permission to register before you submit the application form. Contact an adviser at the telephone numbers below: 

  • Applied Psychology: 212-998-5555
  • Higher Education: 212-998-5520
  • Mathematics Education: 212-998-5490;
  • Media, Culture, and Communication: 212-998-5191
  • Music Technology: 212-998-5422,
  • Nutrition: 212-998-5580
  • Occupational Therapy: 212-998-5847